This is a stripped down representation of the receipe for Quick and easy red lentil dahl. It serves 6 and takes about 30 minutes to make.
- Olive oil
- Onions - x2, diced
- Garlic cloves - x3, finely chopped
- Fresh ginger - 1 tbsp, peeled and grated
- Red chilli - half, finely chopped (or 0.5 tsp dried chilli flakes)
- Cumin seeds - 0.5 tsp
- Coriander seeds - 0.5 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 0.5 tsp
- Ground turmeric - 2 tsp
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Dried red lentils - 200g (1 cup) (rinsed and drained)
- Chopped tomatoes - 1 can (400 ml)
- Coconut milk - 1 can (400 ml)
- Vegetable stock - 500 ml
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach washed
- Heat the oil in a large casserole over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and red chilli and cook for a few minutes.
- Grind the cumin, coriander and mustard seeds lightly in a pestle and mortar, then add to the pan, along with the turmeric and garam masala and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes with their juice, coconut milk and stock, then stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook on a medium/low heat for 15-20 minutes until reduced and thick.
- Stir in the lemon juice, add the spinach and then wait until it wilts.